Rosetta Stone European Portuguese
Unfortunately Rosetta Stone does not have a version for European Portuguese, but is it a waste of time? Read my post below.
Is there a rosetta stone version for European Portuguese? Sadly to say there is not. There are just way more Brazilian Portuguese speakers. Because of this a lot of language programs will overlook European Portuguese. Rosetta stone is one of the most well known language programs out there. The reviews on it are pretty varied.
I think it’s a great program to learn some basics. In my opinion you need to do much more than just a Rosetta Stone program to become conversationally fluent. There are pros and cons to do doing the Brazilian Portuguese rosetta stone.
- The grammar is very similar
- The words are pretty much the same. You will increase your vocabulary a ton
- Easy to follow, lessons are structured
- Although the words are pretty much the same, a lot of them are pronounced much differently. For example, the phrase Bom Dia, which means good morning. In European Portuguese the “d” is pronounced more like “day” in english. However, in BrazIlian PortUguese, it is pronounced more like the “g” in energy.
- You don’t want to develop a Brazilian accent
- Rosetta stone has mixed reviews
Those are just a couple of pros and cons. I think as long as you know the differences between the two and are aware of them, it’s not the worst thing to do. You will still learn a lot.
Early on when I first started learning Portuguese I was using the duolingo app. Read my full review on that here. I think I went a month into it without even realizing I was learning Brazilian Portuguese. Sure I said some words a little differently but once I learned the main differences between the two it was easy to switch everything I learned over to European Portuguese.
With that said, there are some other programs that are completely created for European Portuguese which I have completed. The main two I really liked were
Michel Thomas European Portuguese would be my favorite. You can read my full review on that in the link I posted.
I don’t think it would hurt you to purchase the Rosetta program and go through it. But I do think there are some better options and ways you can spend your time.